Throughout history, people have looked for ways to achieve a younger, more vibrant look by improving their facial appearance. A procedure utilizing Botox® (Botulinum toxin type A) has been safely used for more than a decade for the treatment of
Botox® can be used to:
- worry and frown lines
- crow's feet
- laugh lines
- other wrinkles (sometimes called dynamic wrinkles)
Small doses of the toxin are injected directly into the specific muscles that cause unwanted expression lines. This causes those muscles to weaken. Following the injection, it can take from three to 14 days to achieve the optimal results. The "effect" lasts from two to five months and may be longer in some people. To maintain the effects, the injections must be repeated. There is no recovery time for Botox injections and patients may return to normal activities after a few hours.
- make an improvement in the lines of expression on our foreheads, between our eyebrows and around our eyes
- improve the appearance of an angry or unhappy look caused by these furrows
- reduce these lines with a simple injection, involving no downtime, no healing time and no scars
To find out what Botox® can do for you; call us at 604-875-4682 to make an appointment for a private consultation with one of our respected dermatologists.
Before and After Pictures
Images will be posted shortly
Frequently Asked Questions - Botox®
Will I find the procedure painful?
Is there any downtime?
- A small amount of discomfort is felt when the needle is inserted and the liquid injected. This sensation lasts approximately five seconds.
- Botox is injected into various locations on the face. The needle is extremely small and only a tiny amount of liquid is injected at any time as a result we rarely use a topical anesthetic.
- The treatment could trigger a mild headache side effect afterward, for which we recommend acetaminophens suchas Tylenol®.
What outcome should I expect?
- Because no sedatives or anesthetics are used, you can return to normal activities soon after the procedure.
- The dermatologist will recommend that you do not lie down for three to four hours after the treatment.
- Some facial exercises may be recommended.
Are there any side effects?
- The treatment takes three to 14 days to take full effect.
- The benefits will last from three to six months.
- In some cases, a touch-up may be necessary one to two weeks after the initial treatment.
- Generally, it takes two or three injections each year to maintain the smooth, youthful appearance.
Who are the best candidates for the procedure?
- There may be a small amount of bruising around the treated areas, however this is temporary.
- Another side effect that rarely occurs is a slight drooping of the eyebrow or upper eyelid, usually correcting itself in two to three weeks.
- For most patients there are no serious side effects associated with this treatment. On January 13, 2009, Health Canada issued an advisory regarding Botox that includes a warning of the risk of the toxin spreading to other distant parts of the body. It is important to note that there are no medically confirmed cases of distant toxin spread related to Botox® or Botox Cosmetic® in Canada. To read more, please click here to view the Health Canada information update.
- The best candidates for the procedure are those between the ages of 30 and 65.
- In many cases, wrinkles in people over 65 are caused by sun damage rather than muscle pull.
However, each person is different and must be evaluated by the dermatologist.